incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: questions about the "porting" project
Date Wed, 16 May 2012 17:50:50 GMT
On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 6:37 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts <luispo@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi
>
> On 2012-05-15, at 17:37 , Kay Schenk wrote:
>
> > Hi all--
> >
> > I was just taking a look at the porting project site:
> >
> > http://www.openoffice.org/porting/
> >
> > could someone who is familiar with this project, and hopefully currently
> > involved with it, fill us in on what the affiliation of the porters
> listed
> > --
> >
> > http://www.openoffice.org/porting/porting_overview.html
> >
> > were to the OpenOffice.org project? Were they committers, etc?
> >
> > And, if you could provide some idea of the usage numbers for each, if
> they
> > were kept somewhere,  that would be great.
> > Thanks.
>
> I think I can probably answer most of the questions, as we did track those
> data, but not sure: much of what was there is a) gone, b) old, really old.
>
> That said, regarding the committers: See,
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/DomainDeveloper
>
> "Domain Developer," as you know, meant that one had access as a committer
> globally.
>
> As to general ports, from memory:
>
> 1. Windows. > 95%
> And then Mac OS X
> And then, in the single digits, the rest.
> (Linux distros., of course, included OOo and its variants.)
>
> The old spreadsheets from the first few years are probably not quite
> accurate--they never were--but suggestive of the breakdown then of
> "everything else". However, now, things are quite a lot different, and past
> data ought not to prescribe present, let alone future behaviour.
>
> Louis

Hi Louis--

OK, I'm already confused. The porting page above has no Windows info on it
at all...what I see are mostly *nix derivatives, along with a few others --
VMS, OS/2,  etc.

My question, more specifically, is why weren't these included with the
other releases -- i.e. Windows, Solaris, MacIntel -- and shuttled to the
mirrors instead of a separate area like this?

They seem to be considered "official" from OpenOffice.org and yet, not
quite.

Can you tell me why?

> > --

> > MzK
> >
> > "Well, life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
> > And life has a funny way of helping you out
> > Helping you out."
> >                            -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette

MzK

 Helping you out."