incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] proposal a OOo 3.3 update service
Date Wed, 16 May 2012 17:27:36 GMT
On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 4:24 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <
orwittmann@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> as our release AOO 3.4 is out now for more than a week I think it would
> make sense to reactivate a simple update service for installed OOo 3.3
> versions.
> I have already seen a post on the users mailing list that the update
> functionality is not working in OOo 3.3. I assume that corresponding posts
> also exist in the forum.
> From my point of view it is time to let our OOo 3.3 users know via the
> update functionality that we have released AOO 3.4.
>
> The update URL for OOo 3.3 is:
> http://update36.services.**openoffice.org/**ProductUpdateService/check.**
> Update<http://update36.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update>(plus
a query part ?pkgfmt=<pkgformat> for non-Windows platforms)

> As this URL resolves to nothing, the user currently gets the following
> response from the update functionality in OOo 3.3:
> Server error message: Could not read status line: An existing connection
> was forcibly closed by the remote host.
>
> There are two solutions:
>
> (A) "static" solution:
> Provide an XML document similar to the one which is attached when an HTTP
> GET request to the above given URL is made.
> The attached XML document contains an atom feed according to [1]
> Currently, it only contains entries for:
> - German, Windows
> - German, MacOS X
> - German, Linux, 32bit
> - German, Linux, 64bit
> - English-US, Windows
> I hope I got the inst:os and inst:arch content right for all the platforms.
> For Windows and MacOS we could directly provide download links. Thus, the
> update functionality can download it and install it on corresponding user
> demand.
> For Linux we can not distinguish the different needed package formats in
> this "static" solution - as far as I know. Thus, a landing page can be
> given here. The update functionality can open it in the user's default
> browser on corresponding user demand. In the attached XML document I
> included our AOO 3.4 release announcement page as this landing page - this
> is only a proposal.
> The final XML document needs to be extended by entries for all possible
> combinations. This would mean 4 entries (Windows, MacOS X, Linux 32bit,
> Linux 64bit) for each language which we had released for AOO 3.4.
> It would be also be possible to include more combinations for which we
> have no package. We could create a special landing page for these which
> state that AOO 3.4 is out and that the user might want to have a look, if
> one of the provided packages would fit her/his needs.
>
> For this solution we need to provide the XML document at the above given
> URL.

Oliver--

Hi. OK, a dumb question...have you ascertained that this doc actually
works? That is, have you tested it with some sort of URL redirect?

Right now, we have an area on the web server that could house this...in

/projects/update36/ProductUpdateService

If you overwrite check.Update with this file, and do a local host setup,
your own /etc/hosts, and redirect update36.services.openoffice.org to

140.211.11.131

you could test it out

One of the problems we will run into, esp for Linux (I don't know about
other platforms) is that the user has a appended "pkgfmt" already on the
update URL, so in my experimenting, the update call failed because an
acceptable package was not found.

Your analysis about just leading linux folks to the url of a page for an
update is great, but what to do about the existing information?

Anyway, copy your doc over to the web server, setup the redirect, and let
us know how things go.

> (B) "dynamic" solution:
> As the HTTP GET request contains all the information needed to identify
> the installed version performing the HTTP GET request - see [2], with some
> server-side logic an XML document could be dynamically created which
> servers the identified version.
> E.g.:
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <inst:description xmlns:inst="http://**installation.openoffice.org/**
> description <http://installation.openoffice.org/description>">
>    <inst:version>- Apache OpenOffice 3.4</inst:version>
>    <inst:buildid>9590</inst:**buildid>
>    <inst:os>Linux</inst:os>
>    <inst:arch>x86</inst:arch>
>    <inst:update type="application/octet-**stream" src="
> http://sourceforge.net/**projects/openofficeorg.mirror/**
> files/stable/3.4.0/Apache_**OpenOffice_incubating_3.4.0_**
> Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US.**tar.gz/download<http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/stable/3.4.0/Apache_OpenOffice_incubating_3.4.0_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz/download>"
> />
> </inst:description>
> which would serve a OOo 3.3, en-US, Linux 32bit, packgage format deb
> If there is no AOO 3.4 for the identified OOo 3.3 the script should create
> the following XML document:
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <inst:description xmlns:inst="http://**installation.openoffice.org/**
> description <http://installation.openoffice.org/description>">
> </inst:description>
>
> For this solution we need some server-side based script reacting on the
> above given URL, which can evaluate the provided information and can create
> XML documents as given above.
>
> [1] http://wiki.services.**openoffice.org/wiki/Update_**
> Notification_Protocol<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Update_Notification_Protocol>
> [2] http://wiki.services.**openoffice.org/wiki/Update_**
> Notification_Protocol#summary_**information_about_request_to_.**
> 3CUpdateURL.3E<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Update_Notification_Protocol#summary_information_about_request_to_.3CUpdateURL.3E>
>
> I would prefer the "static" solution as a short-term one which could be
> working next week.
> For the "dynamic" solution a script is needed. I have no experience in
> programming such a script. Is there a volunteer who would take over this
> task?
>

> Any thoughts/comments/**improvements/changes/...?
>

> Best regards, Oliver.

MzK

 Helping you out."
                            -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette