incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Linux install issues
Date Sat, 19 May 2012 20:52:54 GMT
On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:

> On Sat, 19 May 2012 10:00:39 -0700
> Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all--
> >
> > It seems we are running into a number of very difficult problems with
> Linux
> > installs, the latest just e-mailed to this list this morning, due to the
> > way some vendors have installed LO.
> >
> > see:
> >
> > http://markmail.org/message/qz72ouzjvcm7uyfn
> >

> > I'd really like to provide additional help in the install guide:
> >
> > http://www.openoffice.org/download/common/instructions.html
> >
> > but I'm at a loss as to what this should say.
> >
> > I took a look at SOME of the postings on the support forums and well,
> still
> > at a loss. Generally, it seems that completely uninstall the old OOo 3.3
> is
> > a given (please correct me if I'm wrong about this), but how to handle
> some
> > of the LO overlap?
> >
> > Can we get some opinions on what's the most accurate way to go about
> > installing AOO 3.4 on linux?
> >
> > * completely de-install LO first? install AOO 3.4, the re-install LO?
> > * completely de-install old OOo 3.3? and then?
> >
> > Thankfully, I did not run into these kinds of issues with my distro.
> >
> > --

> > MzK
> >
> > "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."
> >                                  -- Mark Twain
>
> Kay
>
> My experience with OOo 2.3- AOO 3.4 on Ubuntu distros from 8.04 forward
> was that it was always best to remove the distro version of OOo before
> installing the Oracle OOo.  I used do this by using the package manager
> Synaptic to remove openoffice.org-core, which took the other packages
> (Writer, Calc etc) with it.  In more recent Ubuntus OOo was replaced by
> LibO, and I removed that in a similar fashion (libreoffice.org-core).
>  After such removals I never had ant difficulty installing the
> Oracle/Apache OpenOffice versions.
>
> It may not have been strictly necessary to remove an earlier version so
> completely, but after having installation difficulties in my early days I
> now do this as a matter of course on the seven machines under my control.

OK, thanks. I will wait "until the world turns" :) before editing the
install guide.

>From what I've seen on the Forums, things get very frustrating trying to
deal with some distros.  I lucked out, or did the right things at the right
time or something.

and Dennis on your comment --

I'm sure those most intimately involved with the development will have an
opinion about this. It could work.