incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject 3.4.1, 3.5?, 4.0 ...
Date Sun, 27 May 2012 15:49:42 GMT
We seem to have a handle on what we're doing for a 3.4.1 release, and quite
a number of ideas floating around for 4.0

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.0+Feature+Planning

and even 4.1 ?

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1+Feature+Planning

I'm wondering if it's worth the time to put a more concerted effort (after
3.4.1) into code cleanup, refactoring,etc., and do an intermediate release
*before* 4.0 as 3.5. There's been some discussion about this in the past
along with the complexity of the code, and I think maybe focusing on JUST
that aspect might serve us well in the long run. When I hear about 1 hour
builds, I'm thinking surely we can do better. That and the size of the code
base concerns me. Again, I am not a coder on this project, and I do realize
that taking things apart and putting them back together is NOT easy. So my
remarks may be very naive.

I really don't have a good sense of what it means to go from a 3.4 to 3.5,
etc.  either. It would be great if someone more intimately involved in
development could furnish some more information about that aspect on the
planning wiki.

Thoughts?
MzK

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."
                                 -- Mark Twain