incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DL] question concerning NL downloads...or not
Date Fri, 04 May 2012 21:33:55 GMT
On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 10:03 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On May 4, 2012, at 9:00 AM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>
> > On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 11:48 PM, Jürgen Lange <jl@juergen-lange.de>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello Kay,
> >>
> >> +1
> >>
> >> This is a good idea.
> >>
> >> Jürgen
> >>
> >> Am 04.05.2012 00:59, schrieb Kay Schenk:
> >>
> >> Just a quick philosophical questions for the upcoming 3.4 download.

> string
> the

> back
> one of
> will
> course,

> not.
>
> Some NL sites have DLs, but most do not. Rob has listed the few that do
> many of which do have AOO versions.

My goal at this point,  given everyone's time considerations, is to have
things working as closely as they were to the former DL scenario. In the
past NL sites could choose where DLs for their language would be located --
on the mirror site or some alternate location. I think ALL the languages in
the languages.js list have something in the way of a DL but really some may
be quite old -- maybe even older than 3.0. Reactivating ALL the languages
that existed before for this DL, and letting users go to that site, is no
more harmful than what's been done in the past. I agree it is NOT
optimal...but, given the timeframe we're operating in right now, I don't
think adding something else to deal with them is optimal.

> If none of the user's langs are available then there are several choices.
>
> (1) other.html. Their version isn't there. If they want AOO 3.4 in another
> language fine. Is that the first choice?

Ok, Marcus has coded this up...you can see it at:

http://www.openoffice.org/download/test/other_new_dl.html

So, for languages for which we have NO 3.4.0, the links go to valid distros
for 3.3.0. However, there is no indication, generally or specifically that
a language will not get 3.4.0. This could pretty easily be added generally
at the top of the page, but specifically., by some means, doubtful at this
time.

> (2) legacy/index.html. WIll this work if the most recent legacy is what
> they are looking for?

I think we're good with the "new" other.html

> If the language is missing from 3.4, I think it makes sense to write a
> special non-button text warning above that offers the legacy.
>
> "We are sorry but your language, XXXX, is not yet available in the current
> version. Click the <Legacy Button> to locate a version of OpenOffice.org
> 3.3 or earlier in your language."
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>

> >> Yes, and as Marcus just left ALL the languages in the new "other" page,
> > this would more or less make things consistent. OK, will do.
> >

> > --

> > MzK
> >
> > "Well, life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
> > And life has a funny way of helping you out
> > Helping you out."
> >                            -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette

MzK

 Helping you out."