incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: questions about the "porting" project
Date Thu, 17 May 2012 01:21:06 GMT
On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On 05/16/12 15:07, Kay Schenk wrote:
>

>> On 05/16/2012 11:48 AM, � wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Confused,
>>>
>>> My reply is long; short answer: Porting evolved, and there were those
>>> builds maintained by Sun for its clients and then there were those
>>> initiated and maintained by the community. Over time, the roster of
>>> Sun-maintained ports changed. I can give a bigger history of
>>> this�it's kind of interesting, if you are really bored�:-)
>>>

>> well I am not quite THAT bored at the moment. ;)
>>
>> Thanks for all this. Yes, it did help. Our current situation, as with any
>> open source project, is that you can only *build* what you can sustain.
>>
>> Mostly I was asking about this to try to get a feel for what we should
>> include as "official" builds vs not.
>>
>> Considering Maho and Pedro (with FreeBSD) and Dario (OS/2) are involved
>> with the project as committers, why wouldn't we include these builds on the
>> mirrors? And, we have a Solaris participant as well now.
>>

> There are technical reasons: mostly that I don't want to add FreeBSD
> specific
> hacks until the build structure is in better shape (with the gnumake4 CWS
> mainly).

OK...

> There's also the issue that FreeBSD users know very well where to get AOO:
> we don't really have the multiple distributors issue that plagues linux
> and we
> can take care better of the dependency on system library versions.

Well we don't have those issues either as we only supply "generic" installs
in either RPM or DEB. I don't know, however, what the identification would
be for FreeBSD, vis a vis , navigator.platform for example.

I understand what you're saying. Right now, I'm just in investigative
mode.

> In the future we would certainly like to set up a buildbot with trunk,
> which will
> be interesting since FreeBSD is throwing away gcc in favor of clang for
> FreeBSD 10.

hmmmm...OK. Thanks for this information.

> Pedro.

MzK

 Helping you out."
                            -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette