incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Starting the graduation process
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 21:30:00 GMT
On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 6:29 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> >> I'd like to start the graduation process, with the aim of being a TLP
> >> in time for the 3.4.1 release.
> >>
> >> The IPMC has a "Guide to Successful Graduation" page with a lot of
> >> detail and advice:  http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html
> >>
> >> The calendar here is especially useful:
> >> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#toplevel
> >>
> >> It shows 4 steps:
> >>
> >> 1) a vote on ooo-dev (a community vote) on whether we want to graduate
> now
> >>
> >> 2) a discussion on ooo-dev leading to the draft of a charter for the new
> >> TLP
> >>
> >> 3) an IPMC vote on whether or not to recommend the podling for
> graduation
> >>
> >> 4) a vote by the ASF Board on a resolution creating the new TLP
> >>
> >> This thread is just a proposal.  It is not the actual vote called for
> >> in #1 above.  But I'd like to gauge current sentiment.  Are we all +1
> >> for going ahead?  If not, please list what pre-graduation tasks you
> >> believe need to be done first.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> -Rob
> >>

> > There is a LOT to go through here. I was OK up until the "Prepare a
> > Charter" and then I'm confused. I see the minutes of board actions but
> not
> > actual charters(?) OK, I may have missed the essence...I'll move on.
> >

> I think Charter == Board Resolution.
>
> So we need something according to this template:
>

> https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/board/templates/podling-tlp-resolution.txt
>
> So the actual work for "Prepare a Charter" is to fill in the blanks in
> that template, including project name, description and scope,
> determining the initial PMC members and the PMC Chair.  The calendar
> suggested a week to figure these items out.  It might take us longer.

oh --OK...I saw these in the minutes referenced in the guide, but, well, it
didn't register with me I guess.

> > I think it's fine to "start the graduation process" at this time though
> I'm
> > not sure we'll make the 3.4.1 timeline proposal of July 31, 2012. (There
> > seems to be a lot to do with this.)
> >

> It is just a goal. If we don't make that date then the downside is:
>
> 1) We need to go thorugh the extra IPMC vote on the release and wait
> for three IPMC votes
>
> 2) We cannot issue an official press release
>
> 3) The release has "incubating" in the name
>
> This isn't horrible, but if we can avoid it, then this is good as
> well.  But getting this done before we all leave for summer holidays
> seems like a good idea.

I understand what you're saying. Interesting points I hadn't thought of.  I
was just concerned about some of the "machinations" this might involve.

> > Pedro has brought up some points. The only thing I've seen that might be
> an
> > issue for us is the use of Apache mirrors, as we're currently using
> > SourceForge for distributions also.
> >

> Remember, we have permission to use SourceForge, and we're also using
> the Apache mirrors, for the source distribution.  So I think we're OK
> here.

OK, my apologies...I looked up the thread on this (again)...

http://markmail.org/message/quwkdctro7dpzyly

and it seems to imply we CAN keeping using SF if we choose.
(maybe it's time to document this somewhere...I'll see what I can do about
this.)