incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] proposal a OOo 3.3 update service
Date Tue, 22 May 2012 16:21:24 GMT
On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 6:21 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <
orwittmann@googlemail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> that AOO
>> 3.4 is out and that the user might want to have a look, if one of the
>> provided
>> packages would fit her/his needs.
>>
>> For this solution we need to provide the XML document at the above given
>> URL.
>>
>> (B) "dynamic" solution:
>> As the HTTP GET request contains all the information needed to identify
>> the
>> installed version performing the HTTP GET request - see [2], with some
>> server-side logic an XML document could be dynamically created which
>> servers the
>> identified version.
>> E.g.:
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>> <inst:description xmlns:inst="http://**installation.openoffice.org/**
>> description <http://installation.openoffice.org/description>">
>> <inst:version>- Apache OpenOffice 3.4</inst:version>
>> <inst:buildid>9590</inst:**buildid>
>> <inst:os>Linux</inst:os>
>> <inst:arch>x86</inst:arch>
>> <inst:update type="application/octet-**stream"
>> src="http://sourceforge.net/**projects/openofficeorg.mirror/**
>> files/stable/3.4.0/Apache_**OpenOffice_incubating_3.4.0_**
>> Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US.**tar.gz/download<http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/stable/3.4.0/Apache_OpenOffice_incubating_3.4.0_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz/download>
>> "
>> />
>> </inst:description>
>> which would serve a OOo 3.3, en-US, Linux 32bit, packgage format deb
>> If there is no AOO 3.4 for the identified OOo 3.3 the script should
>> create the
>> following XML document:
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>> <inst:description xmlns:inst="http://**installation.openoffice.org/**
>> description <http://installation.openoffice.org/description>">
>> </inst:description>
>>
>> For this solution we need some server-side based script reacting on the
>> above
>> given URL, which can evaluate the provided information and can create XML
>> documents as given above.
>>
>> [1] http://wiki.services.**openoffice.org/wiki/Update_**
>> Notification_Protocol<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Update_Notification_Protocol>
>> [2]
>> http://wiki.services.**openoffice.org/wiki/Update_**
>> Notification_Protocol#summary_**information_about_request_to_.**
>> 3CUpdateURL.3E<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Update_Notification_Protocol#summary_information_about_request_to_.3CUpdateURL.3E>
>>

>> I would prefer the "static" solution as a short-term one which could be
>> working
>> next week.
>> For the "dynamic" solution a script is needed. I have no experience in
>> programming such a script. Is there a volunteer who would take over this

I don't have any ideas at all in what would be included in such a
script...so no help from me. And, I wonder if something like that was ever
in operation. With no knowledge, I can't say.

>> Any thoughts/comments/**improvements/changes/...?
>>

> It looks like we can go with the "static" solution as a short-term
> solution.

Sounds good. this is reasonable and should work assuming infra can deal
with handling the "pkgfmt" bits for Linux, for example.

> Thus, I will do the following:
> - Creation of a complete XML document
> - Include entries for at least one languages for which we have currently
> no AOO 3.4 installation package.
> - Providing the XML document and possible variants on [3] for testing and
> verification.
> - Call for volunteers to test the XML document at [3].
> - Integrate feedback, if we want to have direct download links or links to
> a certain existing web page for manual download.

I don't understand this one. Initiate update vs letting user choose and
then do installation on their own?

> - Activate the update service
> -- move the final XML document to [4].
> -- ask ASF infrastructure team to redirect OOo 3.3 Update URL [5] to [4].
>
> My goal is to have the update service for OOo 3.3 running at the end of
> next week.
>
> Any objections?
>
> Any volunteers in advance which want to test?
> If yes, please provide information about your OOo 3.3 installation
> (operating system and language) and the test cases (direct download link,
> link to download page, ...) you want to test.
>
> [3] http://people.apache.org/~orw/**testupdateservice/<http://people.apache.org/%7Eorw/testupdateservice/>
> [4] http://www.openoffice.org/**projects/update36/**
> ProductUpdateService/check.**Update<http://www.openoffice.org/projects/update36/ProductUpdateService/check.Update>
> [5] http://update36.services.**openoffice.org/**
> ProductUpdateService/check.**Update<http://update36.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update>
>

> Thanks in advance, Oliver.

All sounds good Oliver. I cant' help with further testing, but I do hope
all goes well.

MzK

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."
                                 -- Mark Twain