incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From RGB ES <rgb.m...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [UX] The Save Process continued
Date Fri, 18 May 2012 14:57:20 GMT
2012/5/18 Regina Henschel <rb.henschel@t-online.de>:
> Hi Ricardo,
>
> RGB ES schrieb:
>
>> 2012/5/18 Rory O'Farrell<ofarrwrk@iol.ie>
>
> [..]
>
>> There is also a second, less harmful, problem with the save file
>> work-flow: it is quite easy to accidentally uncheck the "add file
>> extension" on the save dialogue so every now and then we get on the
>> forums windows users that do not know how to open a file because
>> when they double click on it the OS do not recognize it. Maybe we
>> need to eliminate that option and always save with the correct file
>> extension?
>

> There is no "correct" file extension for all cases. For example consider
> text vs csv. But it might help, when the state of the check box is not
> remembered, but always starts with being checked.

You have a point here... ;)

But this makes me think on the difference between "Save As" and
"Export": if you create a cvs file from a spreadsheet document I think
you are "exporting" it, not just "saving us" because you are losing
format and properties like formulas, etc.

I think that those specially ambiguous file types belongs to "Export"
(which is now pretty empty), not to "Save / Save As". By reorganizing
"Export" and "Save / Save As" it is possible to let the file extension
option on the Export dialogue and erase it from "Save / Save As". Does
this make sense?

Regards
Ricardo