incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From RGB ES <rgb.m...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: After AOO 3.4?
Date Mon, 07 May 2012 22:23:47 GMT
2012/5/8 Louis Suárez-Potts <luispo@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> RGB ES wrote:
>> 2012/5/5 Albino Biasutti Neto <biasuttin@gmail.com>:
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> We have to focus on end users, and seek feedback to research, created
>>> polls, and others.
>>>
>>> We need to get statistics AOO.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Albino
>>
>> Before that, we need to define who our end users are. We need a set of
>> "ideal users" with clear needs: students who do their homework,
>> independent writers that use on-line publishing systems, small
>> companies that need to create an invoice or maintain a database of
>> supplies...
>
> I'm curious... are you dismissing the vast numbers who were using OOo? Briefly, more
than 95 percent of downloads from the mirrors were Windows users. But major deployments were
almost entirely in the public sector. Some of the more obvious were listed here [0], but the
page is out of date.

>> All those groups have different needs, and the right answer for one
>> group could be a problem for the others.
>
> I think that, as was suggested, an effective modus operandi is to work with the NL groups.
For instance, there might be public sector or private needs for accessibility features. We
here may not have the people to do that but we (an extended we at this point) can work with
those wanting it to find the developers....

> louis
>
> [0] http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Major_OpenOffice.org_Deployments
>>
>> Regards
>> Ricardo

Sorry, but I cannot understand your question. I'm not dismissing
anything. I just commented that a home user is not the same than a
professional writer, and that both groups have different needs that
ask for different solutions. Building usage statistics without
considering the differences between users can lead to wrong
conclusions: that's all.

Maybe is for my professional background, but as physicists I know that
before doing research (and analysing user statistics is research) you
need a "model" of what you are looking for: on this case, a set of
"ideal users" with a lists of needs and problems. Only then you will
be able to find solutions.

Regards
Ricardo