incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From RGB ES <rgb.m...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [UX] The Save Process continued
Date Fri, 18 May 2012 14:11:51 GMT
2012/5/18 Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>:
> On Fri, 18 May 2012 06:26:33 +0100
> Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:
>
>> One aspect of the User Experience which frequently manifests itself for Users is
a bad file save, leading to a corrupt file, which is partially or totally irrecoverable

> Sorry!  My previous posting got away before I had completed it.
>
> In my programming days (some 25-30 years ago) it was de rigeur that the original file
was never over-written until the new file had been completely saved, so that if there was
a crash (app, OS, or power failure) the original file existed, perhaps as a .bak file, but
there, untouched.  This does not happen in OpenOffice (all forks as far as I know). Some
thought needs to be given to this and to the defaults of the backup ("always create backup"
to be on by default).

> Many of the instances of corrupt files are caused by User error (too quick shutdown before
write buffers are flushed?); a part of the User Experience is to ensure against the stupidity
of Users.

+1

There is also a second, less harmful, problem with the save file
work-flow: it is quite easy to accidentally uncheck the "add file
extension" on the save dialogue so every now and then we get on the
forums windows users that do not know how to open a file because when
they double click on it the OS do not recognize it. Maybe we need to
eliminate that option and always save with the correct file extension?

Regards
Ricardo