incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Roberto Galoppini <rgalopp...@geek.net>
Subject Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] proposal a OOo 3.3 update service
Date Tue, 22 May 2012 14:58:36 GMT
On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 3:21 PM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
<orwittmann@googlemail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> E.g.:
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>> <inst:description
>> xmlns:inst="http://installation.openoffice.org/description">
>> <inst:version>- Apache OpenOffice 3.4</inst:version>
>> <inst:buildid>9590</inst:buildid>
>> <inst:os>Linux</inst:os>
>> <inst:arch>x86</inst:arch>
>> <inst:update type="application/octet-stream"
>>
>> src="http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/stable/3.4.0/Apache_OpenOffice_incubating_3.4.0_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz/download"
>> />
>> </inst:description>
>> which would serve a OOo 3.3, en-US, Linux 32bit, packgage format deb
>> If there is no AOO 3.4 for the identified OOo 3.3 the script should create
>> the
>> following XML document:
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>> <inst:description
>> xmlns:inst="http://installation.openoffice.org/description">
>> </inst:description>
>>
>> For this solution we need some server-side based script reacting on the
>> above
>> given URL, which can evaluate the provided information and can create XML
>> documents as given above.
>>
>> [1] http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Update_Notification_Protocol
>> [2]
>>
>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Update_Notification_Protocol#summary_information_about_request_to_.3CUpdateURL.3E
>>

>> I would prefer the "static" solution as a short-term one which could be
>> working
>> next week.
>> For the "dynamic" solution a script is needed. I have no experience in
>> programming such a script. Is there a volunteer who would take over this
>> task?
>>

>> Any thoughts/comments/improvements/changes/...?
>>

> It looks like we can go with the "static" solution as a short-term solution.
>
> Thus, I will do the following:
> - Creation of a complete XML document
> - Include entries for at least one languages for which we have currently no
> AOO 3.4 installation package.
> - Providing the XML document and possible variants on [3] for testing and
> verification.
> - Call for volunteers to test the XML document at [3].
> - Integrate feedback, if we want to have direct download links or links to a
> certain existing web page for manual download.
> - Activate the update service
> -- move the final XML document to [4].
> -- ask ASF infrastructure team to redirect OOo 3.3 Update URL [5] to [4].
>
> My goal is to have the update service for OOo 3.3 running at the end of next
> week.
>
> Any objections?
>
> Any volunteers in advance which want to test?
> If yes, please provide information about your OOo 3.3 installation
> (operating system and language) and the test cases (direct download link,
> link to download page, ...) you want to test.

I'd go for a link to the download page or another page as suggested by
Weir in the AOO 3.4 update thread. Doing so we can inform end users
that openoffice has a new home, as well as engaging them with the
ecosystem. In such case we could help with testing and eventually
serving updates downloads (something we couldn't do for direct
downloads).

The infrastructure SourceForge put in place for serving AOO 3.4
downloads could serve updates downloads too.

Roberto

--
====