incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Roberto Galoppini <rgalopp...@geek.net>
Subject Re: [HEADS UP] Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] proposal a OOo 3.3 update service
Date Thu, 31 May 2012 21:27:50 GMT
On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 10:36 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
> Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> One approach might be to have the landing page be the NL home page,
>> e.g., http://de.openoffice.org.   These already exist, and either have
>> the download links on that page, or have text that explains how to
>> download.
>

> Sure, this makes a lot of sense. Testing with the Italian version is
> reasonable because it's approximately 10% of traffic, so a perfect sample;
> the only issue I see is that 80%-90% of the downloads of the Italian version
> come from Italy, so this wouldn't be a test for the global mirror network.

It's not a stress-test, but a practical way to guess how many
auto-updates we'll be serving.

>> One other question:  does this take care of OOo 3.2 upgrades as well?
>

> No, every version uses a separate hostname: update36.services.openoffice.org
> will only be accessed by version 3.3.
>
>> Do we think there are many out there?
>

> Enough to crash the openoffice.org web server: if I recall correctly, we had
> big troubles when all updateXY hostnames were redirected to openoffice.org
> (and the reason was determined to be very old, maybe even 2.x, versions,
> sending POST requests in an uncontrolled way). But as Oliver wrote we can
> progressively extend to 3.2 and possibly to earlier releases too.

The fact that the web server crashed doesn't say much, though. The
test phase will put us in the position to make educated guess about
the expected global traffic, and we'll get prepared to serve them all.

I like the idea of moving progressively to 3.2 and beyond.

Roberto

--
====