incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Fernando Cassia <fcas...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hello all, I'm Xin Li, the UX designer of Symphony
Date Wed, 09 May 2012 14:32:24 GMT
On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> however I wonder if
> the FOSS resources are being spread too thin.

The LO jihad should have thought about that before hearing the call of
sirens from Novell to fork. Sun refused Novell' s Go-OO OOXML patches
for a reason: you can't advance ODF adoption by embracing your
competitor's format, but of course Meeks disagrees, and OOXML support
was one of the 'highlights'  of Novell' s first Go-OO fork*.  Also,
Oracle had great plans for OO.o and its commercial cousin StarOffice,
in fact, I updated my copy of StarOffice 9 to "Oracle Open Office"
(the renamed StarOffice) and was positively impressed. Sadly it' s all
water under the bridge by now.

I hope Apache takes AOO where StarOffice was (in terms of corporate
adoption) and beyond...

Just my $0.02

FC
* http://slashdot.org/story/07/10/03/1212234/sun-refuses-lgpl-for-openoffice-novell-forks