incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Fernando Cassia <fcas...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Thoughts on AOO release size and complexity -- Can we do better? (And what does "better" mean in this case?)
Date Wed, 16 May 2012 20:18:02 GMT
On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 4:06 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> ==Idea #1==
>
> Factor out the translations for the install program versus the AOO
> program itself.  Make the installer support all languages.
>
> Make core installer only have en_US resources.  Everything else is
> provided via language packs.

I vote for idea #1. The installer should read the language of the OS its
running on (easy on windows, unknown how to do that in Linux-BSD-Unix and
present dialogs in that language, along with bitmaps during the install
process (if any). Then, the US-English release should be installed, and any
additional languages needed should be downloaded after the fact, the first
time the app is run (if "detected OS language is different from US
english", or as a second step after installation.

Now, of course it is easier said than done. ;) Or "everything works, in
theory". ;)

FC