incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Fernando Cassia <fcas...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Troll warning
Date Wed, 09 May 2012 02:18:04 GMT
On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:
> If you forward me links I'll make sure the TDF Membership Committee takes a look.

What are LO advocates doing on this list?. Just curious....

http://webmink.com/2012/02/19/libreoffice-video/

Where it says "OpenOffice's succesor, LibreOffice...."

Let me get this straight, the forkers destroyed StarOffice, spit
Oracle in the face then invited them for dinner (to join TDF), then
they get upset that Oracle does not comply with their demands, they
nevertheless go ahead with their fork, and when OpenOffice is donated
to Apache and continues having the brand recognition, the mind share
and the majority of downloads on the Windows platform, are we supposed
to  play nice and friendly with people who can't promote their fork
without comparing themselves to Apache OO and some even spread lies
all the time?

ZDNet and IDG pubs have as usual been playing their cards
predictably... suddenly everyone is "anti-corporate" and "corporate
control" of a project is evil.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/212578/4_reasons_to_try_libreoffice.html

"Oracle's apparently profit-minded actions are part of the motivation
behind The Document Foundation's decision to fork OpenOffice, and they
are also a good reason to choose LibreOffice instead"

(if profit bad? hear, hear, someone tell Novell and Meeks!, maybe
Novell can stop payments to Microsoft...)

Glyn Moody writes a story when he decries Apache's statement about
misinformation from the LO camp "Leaving aside the rather catty remark
about "the unwarranted spread of misinformation", there is a crucially
important point here. "

http://blogs.computerworlduk.com/open-enterprise/2011/10/libreoffice-openofficeorg-and-open-standard-office-suites/index.htm

And yet, he contributes to misinformation himself, by stating on the
same article that ""...because Apache-licensed code requires copyright
assignment from coders, and LibreOffice doesn't."

He was corrected by Shane Curcuru, and had to strikeout the whole paragraph.

Another example:

"If you're already using OpenOffice.org as an office suite, you owe it
to yourself to switch to LibreOffice. "

This is what Apache has to deal with...

FC
- George Orwell