incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Juergen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Windows Install Issues (was RE: Linux install issues)
Date Tue, 22 May 2012 06:07:45 GMT
Am Dienstag, 22. Mai 2012 um 04:31 schrieb Dennis E. Hamilton:
> One more thing about the idea of installing at the m.n level instead of the m level (i.e,
m =3, n = 4), is that users can easily keep one or more versions behind and mainly side-by-side.
(I think there is some difficulty if they are both running at once.) This has become routine
for LibreOffice and it seems to allow folks to try out new features without fearing regressions
of work that is important to them on the older release branch.

> I particularly like the fact that I can run multiple LibreOffice main branches and Apache
OpenOffice (only one though :( side-by-side. That is great for QA, interoperability trouble-shooting,
etc. Even with multiple virtual machines, it is handy to have side-by-side installs, if not
executions, too.

> But that is a technical case for me. The more important feature is the next-version branch
install-ahead without burning any bridges.
that is all nice and potentially useful but it requires also a lot of work that have to be
done. The question is how many will use it? I think that most of our users don't want multiple
installations in parallel. They want typically an easy installation with less input but good
defaults. And they expect that .od* files are opened with the office automatically.

We can install the office in parallel and can tweak the user directory to have one for each
installation. The archive builds for example do that already and they don't do a system integration.
Good for QA and early testing of features.

I think your installations and your personal requirements are very special and probably many
of us do it special.

The main question is what do our users want and expect by default?

We can spent many time to implement a very fine grained 120% solution that addresses 0.2%
of our users. For me personal the 99.8% are more interesting.

But don't get me wrong if somebody wants to work on this area it's fine and some minor improvements
are necessary anyway.

Juergen

> - Dennis
>
> PS: I'm so taken by the idea of always installing side-by-side, that I have some small
projects where I will do that for every level of change. Even if someone wants to (re-)build
from source, there's ends up on the side too, if they wish. I'm not sure I have it all figured
out to be seamless yet. I must get some experience with it.

and I need to update those images and the related remarks where there is now a difference.
They could be used for a how-to, as opposed to the QA analysis, which I need to update with
the new shots and any changed observations.

> The only way to change the install location is by selecting Custom Install at the appropriate
point, and then looking at the dialog corner where the install location can be changed. Unfortunately,
I have learned not to trust that option because there were so many releases (not OO.o) that
failed because the code had dependencies that were messed up.

> For Apache OpenOffice, this can change the directory in Program Files but I don't think
it will do much for application data in the User folder or the Windows registry. So the User
Profile, the extension cache and probably other things will be interfered with if there is
an older OpenOffice.org 3.x.x that the user wants to keep running. (AOO 3.4 usurps the hidden
Application Data/OpenOffice/3/user/ ... subfolder.)

> I think I'll focus on the file-association problem right now, because it is something
that appears to be clear-cut and easy to remedy.

> - Dennis
>
> PS: I did reserve a MediaWiki HowTo page for Windows installation of the OO.o 3.3.0 patch,
but did not find time for the amount of work it takes to account for the differences between
Windows XP and Windows Vista/7/8. I suppose this is a good place for details on Windows installation
also.