incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Juan C. Sanz" <juancsa...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1336368 - /incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/hu/brand.mdtext
Date Thu, 10 May 2012 18:52:03 GMT
El 10/05/2012 20:36, Dave Fisher escribió:
> On May 10, 2012, at 11:15 AM, sebb wrote:
>
>> On 10 May 2012 07:17, Dennis E. Hamilton<dennis.hamilton@acm.org>  wrote:
>>> 1. You can Save as UTF8 in Windows Notepad.
>>>
>>> 2. The BOM (Byte-Order-Mark) is a special two-byte prefix that is usually used
with UTF16 to determine whether the two bytes of each 16-bit code are big-endian or little-endian.
 Some products (including Windows Notepad) also put a BOM on the front of UTF8 streams.  Some
software is hostile to it being there, other software accepts it and recognizes the following
code as UTF8 anyhow. You ran into a hostile case.

>>> Since you don't see the BOM (it is on front of the file but is not treated as
a character), and you are on Windows, you need a text editor that doesn't produce them and
also discards any that it encounters.

>>> I recommend an HTML editor.  If you prefer text raw editing, I think jEdit will
work for.  It is a Java application, available on SourceForge.  The Windows version of gedit
will also save text in UTF8.  That probably doesn't produce a BOM.  (It is difficult to know
if one is there or not without looking at the beginning of the file in a hex editor/viewer.)
>> My copy of Notepad++ (v5.9) has the following Encoding Menu options:
>>
>> Encode in ANSI
>> Encode in UTF-8 without BOM
>> Encode in UTF-8
>> Convert to ANSI
>> Convert to UTF-8 without BOM
>> Convert to UTF-8
> Thanks! I've added a note to http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/website-local.html
In the note you say "If you use Notepad on WIndows you have several
options for saving or converting to UTF. Choose the "UTF-8 without BOM"
option" but this is not an option in notepad (at least in mine) but in
Notepad++ which is not the windows one.
Regards
Juan C.