incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Juergen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [UX] New AOO User Experience Community
Date Fri, 18 May 2012 19:49:15 GMT
Am Freitag, 18. Mai 2012 um 15:22 schrieb Paulo de Souza Lima:
> 2012/5/18 J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischmidt@googlemail.com>
>
> > On 5/18/12 10:32 AM, Kevin Grignon wrote:
> >
> > > Erik,
> > >
> > > Good stuff. Will do.
> >
> > do we really need such a separate page for UX community members? I don't
> > think so and I personally think it goes in the wrong direction.
> >

> There's nothing to loose, in my view. But I wouldn't call UX a "community".
> I would call it a "team".
>

> > I am personally interested in many different areas of the project and
> > don't want to put my name on X different pages. My contribution in the
> > different areas will be also different and will change from time to time.
> >

> If you are interested in many areas (just like me) you are free to decide
> if you will place your name in all of them, or none. I don't see a problem
> with that. But if I am deeply involved with some project, I would like to
> place my name on it, for sure. Also, it's important from the user's point
> of view, to know who are the contacts for the issues they have. And a new
> contributor who wishes to have a larger involvement with the UX activities
> (and others too) should be able to identify who else is involved.
>

> > Such a page doesn't really reflect who is doing the work and is
> > potentially misleading.
> >

> Again, I don't think so. Indeed, it doesn't reflect who is doing the job,
> but it gives a clue. It would be worst if users have no clue about that.
> And Mediawiki has features that can give stronger clues. It's matter of
> creating some sort of workflow. If there's a workflow, anyone can drive his
> task, without the need of a "coordinator". I could give you an example we
> done in LibO, but I preffer to show you our own example in AOO: Me and Raul
> are about to finish a workflow for PT-BR document translations page which
> is working very fine in LibO and we will make it work here too. When
> finished, anyone will be able to choose a document, translate it, submit it
> for revise, revise translation, and all the work of every contributor will
> be recorded.

that sounds interesting but I don't see the relation to a community/team page

> This could be automated in certain level if we had a better wiki as I have
> asked for some days ago.

sure better or improved tooling is always good but again where is the relation to a people
page?

> > We have already a general project page with project members that doesn't
> > reflect the current situation in the project.
> >

> I agree to this point, but I think a general list "too general" for the
> average people. We should think about giving fast answers to AOO users,
> instead making them navigate through uncountable pages to find what they
> want. Do you have any idea of how difficult is for people to fill an issue
> in bugzilla, for example? Findind documentation either. And it's worst for
> those who can't read/write in English.

I do not disagree and I am fine with improving the workflow here. It would be great to have
a simplified workflow to submit issues. So let us think about such improvements. The same
for documentation.

But do think that a page with some names will change anything here?

> > In general such pages are useless from my point of view and get outdated
> > very fast.
> >

> My personal/professional experience points to another direction. If UX has
> enthusiastic volunteers who take the task to themselves, they will take
> care of their workspace. And I think there are very enthusiastic people at
> this moment. And they wish to do that, but it will be useless if UX
> couldn't count on devs to hear what they have to say, because UX should be
> the channel between users and devs. The enthusiasm can go down very quickly.

I agree and it is and will not be easy,  In the end the work have to be done. That means that
people have to convince other people from their ideas. Especially when people are not able
to implement it on their own. The better an idea is described and sold the better is the chance
that somebody will implement it.

Juergen