incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Washington DC Apahe Barcamp
Date Sat, 19 May 2012 02:02:46 GMT

On 2012-05-18, at 21:54 , drew jensen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just a quick reminder on this.
>
> I will be attending the Barcamp tomorrow and I will, if possible, give a
> brief presentation regarding our project.
>
> It would be great if I could give a peak to the presentation, but for
> that it would have to be finished already... so that is out - it will be
> ready by 9 AM however :) of course I will post it to the wiki
> afterwards.
>
> However, if anyone believes there is something particular you would like
> highlighted I will check emails over the next couple of hours - so go
> ahead and post here or direct to me, either way.

Drew, thanks for doing this and I wish I could join you in the fun!

I'd say that heaping praise on Apache at an Apache event would probably only elicit skeptical
cynicism, but maybe also beers. :-) Yet, if you could encourage all to check us out….. :-)

Oh, one thing. A while ago, Propylon, a company, was working on refining OOo for legal work;
many law firms and related use WP 5.x or beyond. OOo had some legal templates but the fact
is that a huge portion of the legal world is unable to budge from the weight of electrons
and paper, however close to museum pieces they be. Yet legal workers want open standards,
open source just like the rest of us.

Perhaps, in Wash. DC, a receptive audience to such a thing? Esp. among the US CIO office,
should that be possible? :-)

Cheers
Louis