incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL]: Apache OpenOffice Next-Gen logo...
Date Wed, 09 May 2012 21:37:16 GMT

On May 9, 2012, at 12:24 AM, Andre Fischer wrote:

> On 09.05.2012 08:33, Kevin Grignon wrote:
>> Michael,
>>
>> Thanks for sharing the logo mockups. Also, I appreciate you acknowledging
>> my earlier contributions - most gracious.
>>
>> With AOO 3.4 just hitting the streets, now is the time to think about
>> performing some design research and explorations in support of branding for
>> AOO 4.0.
>>
>> Perhaps you could create an AOO 4.0 logo concepts page on the wiki to
>> capture these great ideas. I also have a number of concepts that I would
>> like to share with you and others for input.
>
> Maybe we can do a logo contest similar to the one Apache Flex did?
>
>    http://incubator.apache.org/flex/logo-contest.html

I'm a mentor on Apache Flex. That contest was very fun, generated more email on flex-dev than
you would believe. There were over 50 different logo submissions submitted from everyone including
professional design firms and hobbyists. I am very impressed with the design talent in the
Flex community.

If we would like to do this then I would gladly go to the flex lists with the contest form.
If we do such a contest then we should ask for at least these designs.

(1) Logo - including dark and light treatments.
(2) Web Banner treatment - with room for differing NL text.
(3) Presentation template.
(4) Application splash screen.
(5) Icon.

Maybe not all at once, but we should make it clear that the intention would be that the winner
would provide the designs and enough guidance for us to proceed.

Regards,
Dave