incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: [Comment] Apache software is always free
Date Tue, 22 May 2012 14:40:29 GMT
Please avoid the loaded term "free"...

Also, you need to differentiate between s/w available directly
from the ASF, which is always no-charge, to Apache s/w available
from vendors which may have a cost associated with it ("What
do you mean you're charging me for Hadoop!? Apache sez their
s/w is always free!").

As such, I feel the page confuses things more than it clarifies
it. :/

On May 21, 2012, at 9:37 PM, Shane Curcuru wrote:

> Since this question is coming up much much more now that we have AOO, I figured we need
an official URL and resource to point to when people ask.

>  http://www.apache.org/free
>
> Any glaring errors?  Anything I should add, or express more clearly?
>
> The immediate driver for this as a memorable URL is the AOO podling, since you clearly
have the greatest need (with the huge non-technical user base).  Is there anything in particular
we should consider adding to address AOO or OOo users specifically?