incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [RELEASE]: download page on the AOO project webpage
Date Fri, 04 May 2012 16:47:58 GMT

On May 4, 2012, at 9:40 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 12:16 PM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 12:46 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I think we should offer mappings and have this page definitely download
>>> via the Apache mirrors. I know what to do to make this work with the Apache
>>> mirror cgi.
>>

>> I think I had read somewhere about Apache choosing to use SourceForge's
>> network of mirrors around the world for distribution?

That is correct for the www.openoffice.org/download/ main download page.

The legacy 3.3 binaries should continue to be available from the MirrorBrain network.

A portion of the Apache Mirrors will also seed AOO. The page being discussed here is on the
project site at incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/. This page will serve through the Apache
Mirrors. The mirror operators are seeding these large binaries and we need to use those as
well.

> A distribution consists of several pieces:
>
> 1) The binaries, i.e., the install images.  These are served up via SourceForge
>
> 2) The source tarballs -- These could go out via Apache mirror network
> if we want.  Or SourceForge.  Is will be very low volume in either
> case.

I'm for doing Source and SDK on the Apache Mirrors.

> 3) The detached signatures and hashes,  For these we must link our
> page to the Apache copies on /dist.  This is an essential part of the
> verification model.  This is how the user is protected against a rogue
> mirror operator or a "man-in-the-middle" attack,  They can always
> verify their download against the authoritative hashes and signature
> on the Apache server.

This is a key point and should probably be a separate thread.

Regards,
Dave