incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <>
Subject Re: [RELEASE]: download page on the AOO project webpage
Date Fri, 04 May 2012 16:47:58 GMT

On May 4, 2012, at 9:40 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 12:16 PM, Fernando Cassia <> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 12:46 PM, Dave Fisher <> wrote:
>>> I think we should offer mappings and have this page definitely download
>>> via the Apache mirrors. I know what to do to make this work with the Apache
>>> mirror cgi.
>> I think I had read somewhere about Apache choosing to use SourceForge's
>> network of mirrors around the world for distribution?

That is correct for the main download page.

The legacy 3.3 binaries should continue to be available from the MirrorBrain network.

A portion of the Apache Mirrors will also seed AOO. The page being discussed here is on the
project site at This page will serve through the Apache
Mirrors. The mirror operators are seeding these large binaries and we need to use those as

> A distribution consists of several pieces:
> 1) The binaries, i.e., the install images.  These are served up via SourceForge
> 2) The source tarballs -- These could go out via Apache mirror network
> if we want.  Or SourceForge.  Is will be very low volume in either
> case.

I'm for doing Source and SDK on the Apache Mirrors.

> 3) The detached signatures and hashes,  For these we must link our
> page to the Apache copies on /dist.  This is an essential part of the
> verification model.  This is how the user is protected against a rogue
> mirror operator or a "man-in-the-middle" attack,  They can always
> verify their download against the authoritative hashes and signature
> on the Apache server.

This is a key point and should probably be a separate thread.

> -Rob
>> FC
>> --
>> During times of Universal Deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary
>> act
>> Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto
>> Revolucionario
>> - George Orwell

View raw message