incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [WWW] Some issues translating download/index.html
Date Wed, 09 May 2012 20:15:49 GMT

On May 9, 2012, at 12:56 PM, Juergen Schmidt wrote:

> On Wednesday, 9. May 2012 at 19:40, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> We know AOO website is not set up to be (easily?) localized, but we've
>> been doing our best with the guys on the Spanish mailing list to update
>> the Spanish NL site, mainly translating /adapting the main English site.
>>
>> I've been trying to translate the download page, you can find it at
>> http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/es/descargar/index.html
>> So far I see two (main) issues:
>>
>> * I had to make a copy of exceptions.css to adapt the cachedimages/*.png
>> URLs
>>
>> * we want the look & feel and the system detection, but not the
>> language detection: the user is on the Spanish site, the download must
>> be a Spanish package. I hacked this by adding a variable that is set
>> on the localized index.html via setLanguage("es"); then this variable
>> is used instead of navigator.language. I guess that instead of this,
>> the script code could detect if it is invoked from /download/index.html
>> or /$LANG/xxx/[.../]index..html
>> Is this solvable? Anyone with a better idea?
>> The page looks like:
>> http://people.apache.org/~arielch/images/www-es-descargar.png
>> with this patch applied::
>> http://people.apache.org/~arielch/patches/localize-download-index-html.patch
>>

>> In a perfect situation, the site should be localizable with PO files,
>> and no need to hack stuff... but we are far from this situation.
>>

> but it is worth to think in this direction and focus future work to this as well.
> I like this and will support all efforts going in this direction.

So do I, the language in brand.mdtext and topnav.mdtext should also be in Pootle.

I could see creating an index.mdtext, download.mdtext, other.mdtext and checksums.mdtext that
could also have NL phrases from Pootle.

These then are specially processed by lib/view.pm to include the release map and the mdtext
to produce standard pages.

Perhaps these are all stubs and lib/view.pm would know how to read a file of phrases.

Here are our current patterns in lib/path.pm that choose both html skeleton and view.pm procedure.

our @patterns = (
        [qr!doctype.mdtext$!, single_narrative => { template => "doctype.html" }],
        [qr!brand.mdtext$!, single_narrative => { template => "brand.html" }],
        [qr!footer.mdtext$!, single_narrative => { template => "footer.html" }],
        [qr!topnav.mdtext$!, single_narrative => { template => "navigator.html" }],
        [qr!leftnav.mdtext$!, single_narrative => { template => "navigator.html" }],
        [qr!rightnav.mdtext$!, single_narrative => { template => "navigator.html" }],
        [qr!\.mdtext$!, single_narrative => { template => "single_narrative.html" }],
        [qr!\.html$!, html_page => { template => "html_page.html" }],
        [qr!\.htm$!, html_page => { template => "html_page.html" }],
) ;

Regards,
Dave