incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [HEADS UP] Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] proposal a OOo 3.3 update service
Date Thu, 31 May 2012 20:36:56 GMT
Rob Weir wrote:
> One approach might be to have the landing page be the NL home page,
> e.g., http://de.openoffice.org.   These already exist, and either have
> the download links on that page, or have text that explains how to
> download.

Sure, this makes a lot of sense. Testing with the Italian version is
reasonable because it's approximately 10% of traffic, so a perfect
sample; the only issue I see is that 80%-90% of the downloads of the
Italian version come from Italy, so this wouldn't be a test for the
global mirror network.

> One other question:  does this take care of OOo 3.2 upgrades as well?

No, every version uses a separate hostname:
update36.services.openoffice.org will only be accessed by version 3.3.

> Do we think there are many out there?

Enough to crash the openoffice.org web server: if I recall correctly, we
had big troubles when all updateXY hostnames were redirected to
openoffice.org (and the reason was determined to be very old, maybe even
2.x, versions, sending POST requests in an uncontrolled way). But as
Oliver wrote we can progressively extend to 3.2 and possibly to earlier
releases too.

Regards,
   Andrea.