incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: What is a PMC Chair?
Date Thu, 31 May 2012 14:40:17 GMT
On 2012-05-31 10:31 AM, Yong Lin Ma wrote:
> How often a new chair will be selected? Yearly or depends on ...

Up to the project.

Many TLPs have bylaws that state they'll have an annual election,
although in many cases this is ignored (or forgotten, more likely), and
PMC chairs sit for... however long the project wants them.  In many
cases, the existing chair either gets overloaded (typically with
real-life changes outside the project) or simply wants to give someone
else a chance, and they call for nominations themselves.

It's really up to the PMC to decide this, and then submit resolutions to
the board (which are required to change chairs).  Presuming the PMC is
acting in a healthy manner, the board simply passes the resolution at
the next meeting.

For a project like AOO, I personally think it would be valuable to have
an expectation of an annual nomination/vote process for the chair.

- Shane