incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [HEADS UP] Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] proposal a OOo 3.3 update service
Date Thu, 31 May 2012 08:38:27 GMT
Hi,

On 30.05.2012 22:09, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 3:31 PM, Roberto Galoppini<rgaloppini@geek.net>  wrote:
>> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 12:43 PM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
>> <orwittmann@googlemail.com>  wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> I have finished the creation of an XML document. It contains a feed with
>>> entries for all platform and language combinations for which we have an AOO
>>> 3.4 installation package.
>>> Each entry provides a link to web page [6]. This web page is a currently
>>> empty landing page for our OOo 3.3 users. On this page we can provide
>>> information about our new home at the Apache Software Foundation and our AOO
>>> 3.4 release. From here we can direct our OOo 3.3 to our download page [7].
>>
>> Hi Oliver,
>>
>>   could we eventually jointly work on a test phase for a fraction of
>> the user base? Maybe we could enable the auto-updates for a given
>> language, or so. Actually this could help us to make some realistic
>> assumptions on the total load, and if needed the necessary adjustments
>> to ensure the optimal performance.
>>

> So, if we know from existing AOO 3.4 downloads that language/platform
> X is Y% of the total, then if we test the OOo 3.3 upgrade with only X,
> we can project what the total upgrade volume would be.  That sounds
> reasonable.
>

>>   Ideally we'd like to start the test phase as soon as possible.

Ok.
Roberto, Rob and Kay are in favor to activate the update service only for a part
of the possible OOo 3.3 instances in order to check, if the traffic can be
handled. No objections from my side.

One important remark which I had not given yet:
When we had the redirect from [5] to [4] established by the ASF infrastructure
team, all (yes, all) installed OOo 3.3 instances in which the check of updates
is initiated will get the XML document. Whose which find an entry with their
data (language, platform, architecture) will state that an update is available.
All the others will state that the OOo 3.3 installation is up to date.

To start this first phase the following tasks need to be finished:
(1) Choose the OOo 3.3 candidates for the first phase.
-- orw's proposal: italian on all four platforms
(2) Get in contact with the ASF infrastructure team to get the redirect
established at a certain day.
-- orw is volunteering for this task
(3) Fill the landing page [6] with content and links and activate tracking for
this page.
-- at least one volunteer is needed here.
(4) Choose the time frame for the first phase.
-- orw's proposal: 2012-07-05 until 2012-07-08 (if redirect can be established
on Tuesday, 2012-07-05 and task (3) can be finished until Monday.)

BTW, as we have for each language own entries in the XML document we can provide
translated landing pages if somebody is willing to translate the "master"
landing page.

[6] http://www.openoffice.org/projects/update36/ProductUpdateService/index.html

Best regards, Oliver.