incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: [HEADS UP] Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] proposal a OOo 3.3 update service
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 20:17:20 GMT
Am 05/30/2012 12:43 PM, schrieb Oliver-Rainer Wittmann:
> Hi,

>> [snip]
>>
>> It looks like we can go with the "static" solution as a short-term
>> solution.
>>
>> Thus, I will do the following:
>> - Creation of a complete XML document
>> - Include entries for at least one languages for which we have
>> currently no AOO
>> 3.4 installation package.
>> - Providing the XML document and possible variants on [3] for testing and
>> verification.
>> - Call for volunteers to test the XML document at [3].
>> - Integrate feedback, if we want to have direct download links or
>> links to a
>> certain existing web page for manual download.
>> - Activate the update service
>> -- move the final XML document to [4].
>> -- ask ASF infrastructure team to redirect OOo 3.3 Update URL [5] to [4].
>>
>> My goal is to have the update service for OOo 3.3 running at the end
>> of next week.
>>
>> Any objections?
>>
>> Any volunteers in advance which want to test?
>> If yes, please provide information about your OOo 3.3 installation
>> (operating
>> system and language) and the test cases (direct download link, link to
>> download
>> page, ...) you want to test.
>>
>> [3] http://people.apache.org/~orw/testupdateservice/
>> [4]
>> http://www.openoffice.org/projects/update36/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
>>
>> [5]
>> http://update36.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
>>

> I have finished the creation of an XML document. It contains a feed with
> entries for all platform and language combinations for which we have an
> AOO 3.4 installation package.
> Each entry provides a link to web page [6]. This web page is a currently
> empty landing page for our OOo 3.3 users. On this page we can provide
> information about our new home at the Apache Software Foundation and our
> AOO 3.4 release. From here we can direct our OOo 3.3 to our download
> page [7].
> The reasons why I choose to provide a link to web page instead of
> providing direct download links are the following:
> - for platform Linux the "static" solution can not decide which package
> format is requested.
> - Rob and myself are in favor of such a landing page.
>  From the OOo 3.3 update functionality the user can directly open this
> web page in the default browser.
> The XML document can be found at [4]. I also put it at [3] as file
> "check.Update".
>
> Please start your testing.
> To test please perform the following steps:
> (step 1) stop your running OOo 3.3 instance inclusive quickstarter.
> (step 2) find in your OOo 3.3 installation the file "version.ini"
> (Windows) respectively the file "versionrc" (other platforms).
> (step 3) in this file replace in field "UpdateURL" the string
> [...]

I've tested on Linux with OOo 3.3.0 (OOO330m20 Build 9567).
A restart was not necessary but doing so has shown exactly the same
result. Via "Help - Check for updates" and after 2 seconds I got the
following text in the dialog box:

"OpenOffice.org - Apache OpenOffice 3.4 is available.

The installed version is OpenOffice.org 3.3.0.

Note: Before dwnloading an update ..."

When clicking on the [Download] button I get to this webpage with the
dummy text:

http://www.openoffice.org/projects/update36/ProductUpdateService/

So, for me it seems to work well. :-)

Marcus