incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andre Fischer ...@a-w-f.de>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Starting the graduation process
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 09:34:52 GMT
On 29.05.2012 20:29, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> Hi Drew;
>
> --- Mar 29/5/12, drew<drew@baseanswers.com>  ha scritto:
>
> <snip>

>> Could be - it was just the way Pedro phrased his comment I
>> thought perhaps his thinking was being influenced by the
>> earlier remarks.
>>

> The idea that we have remaining issues with Category-B
> tarballs in the tree has been around since before the
> release, and one of our mentors (Ross I recall) did
> acknowledge my point of view.
>
> I did offer to step down then but I don't mean to make
> a big issue out of this. If I step down it will be
> communicated in the private list exclusively. I would
> still be a committer and nothing would really change
> for me.
>
> What I feel is disappointing is the lack of
> acknowledgement that there *is* an issue. Category-B
> software can be included in releases in binary form
> but it should be otherwise actively discouraged, and in
> general unsupported: it should not be included in the
> buildbots and using it should be, in general terms, a
> PITA.

But the binary builds have to come from somewhere.  Unless we want to
drop the features for which we need category-B libraries then making it
harder to build them is IMHO not the right way to go.

But maybe moving the offending libraries to another server would be a
first step?  If you find a server and copy the files over then I am
willing to adapt the scripts accordingly.

-Andre