incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject LinuxTag 2012 Berlin
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 09:18:27 GMT
Hi,

last week I gave a talk about OpenOffice on the LinuxTag conference in
Berlin.

The attendance was moderate and I got the bad first slot in the morning
10:00am after the LinuxTag party on Thursday ;-) It was an interesting
interruption of my vacation.

My main goal was to express that OpenOffice was never dead and the
project have found a new home at Apache. I highlighted our achievements
and of course our release as important milestone. Presenting our nice
download numbers was also a pleasure for me ;-)

I also expressed my view that

OpenOffice.org = Apache OpenOffice
go-oo = LibreOffice

based on the facts that we own all rights on the name and the domains,
the source code. And we have reserved and migrated the whole infra
structure... And on www.go-oo.org you can see the relation to LibreOffice.

And that not the complete community have moved to LibreOffice.

But I have pointed out that it is my personal view ;-)

I also pointed out that we don't want to compete with LibreOffice (also
my personal opinion) and that our main focus and goal is to provide a
good, stable, high quality, free and intuitive office application.

A further point was that I tried to express that our users will decide
in the future which office they will prefer and that we will focus on
our users and their real demand.

Based on the discussion after my talk it is clear that many people don't
understand the split anymore and would appreciate if both projects would
work together. But that is a political question that can't be answered
easily. I think with the Apache license we provide a possible basement
but the license question is much more complicate for some people.

Juergen