incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] "Get it here" community download promotion program
Date Tue, 29 May 2012 20:38:39 GMT
+1 on the general plan.  Allowing broad use of logo(s) that point to
AOO, but is clearly distinct from the actual AOO product logo(s) is a
great idea.

On 2012-05-28 2:16 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Rob Weir<robweir@apache.org>  wrote:
>> We get regular requests from individuals and companies that want to
>> add a link to the AOO download, and to use the logo with it.  These
>> range from websites of individual users, to websites that aggregate
>> download links for many open source projects.
>>
>> Currently, requesting and receiving such permission requires a request
>> to the PMC, approval and then additional approval by the Apache VP
>> Branding.
>>

> I don't think we received any feedback from Trademarks@ on this proposal.
>
> -Rob
>
>> I'd like to propose a streamlined approach where we can give blanket
>> permission, without an additional request, for using a specific logo
>> (the one that Drew designed) for a specific download situation.  If
>> there are no objections from the PMC, and we get a +1 from
>> Trademarks@, I'll write this up on the website.
>>
>> =Use of the Apache OpenOffice Download Promotion Logo=
>>
>> Anyone, without additional permission from this project, may use the
>> following logo subject to the following conditions:
>>
>> The logo:  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/27834483/get-aoo-300x100-cf.png?version=1&modificationDate=1331970198000
>>
>> [NB. We should move this to a more memorable location]

Yes, please; have it checked into SVN and on the main site since that's
a location that all projects clearly monitor for changes and use for
permanent storage.

>> Conditions:
>>
>> 1. The logo may not be modified except to resize it.  If translations
>> of the "Get it here!" text are required, send a request to the ooo-dev
>> list and we can provide a translated version for you.

Resizing should keep the aspect ratio.  I'm less concerned (although you
may want to specify) about demanding minimum and maximum pixel sizes.  8-)

Also, if folks wanted to submit and get PPMC approval of a couple of
alternate versions (perhaps a wide banner-like one, and a square one)
that would be useful.  This is up to the project, but feel free to
create other similar-ish logos that third parties can use under the same
(or similar) guidelines)

>> 2. The image must be linked to one of:
>>
>> a) the http://www.openoffice.org webpage
>> b) one of the official Native Language pages at openoffice.org, e.g.,
>> http://de.openoffice.org

Provide another example, so it's clear what the pattern is.

>> c) the download page for Apache OpenOffice:
>> http://download.openoffice.org or
>> http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html
>>
>> 3. The logo must not link to a specific download file or mirror.  This
>> causes problems with load balancing and fallbacks and may prevent
>> users from getting the latest version of OpenOffice.

Yes, this is important, both for our project purposes, as well as
mirroring purposes.  You might want to emphasize (just for those who
have their own agenda in mind) that this logo cannot point to any other
sites besides the official download/homepages of the project.  (I.e. I
want it to be crystal clear that using this to point to someone else's
distribution site is an explicit violation, and will be dealt with).

>> 4. Any use Apache-owned logos beyond the above is not covered by this
>> program an must be explicitly requested from the ASF.

Would it useful to ask third parties to email the URL to where they have
posted this logo to the ooo-marketing@ list?  That way, we have a sense
of (most of) the places people are using this, and can spot check the
uses as we have time.  No explicit approval required, just sending the
email is sufficient.  But that's a project decision.

- Shane