incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Barton <b...@apache.org>
Subject Incorrect Information About AOO 3.4
Date Sun, 27 May 2012 06:57:44 GMT
FileHippo.com is a very popular download site for free software and for
many years they have been offering OOo binaries for download. They are
now offering
Apache_OpenOffice_incubating_3.4.0_Win_x86_install_en-US.exe from this
page: http://www.filehippo.com/download_openoffice/

While this is good for user awareness of our first release, some of the
information on that download page is incorrect and in one part totally
misleading:
<Q>
... And it's free

Best of all, OpenOffice.org can be downloaded and used entirely free of
any licence fees. OpenOffice.org is released under the LGPL licence.
This means you may use it for any purpose - domestic, commercial,
educational, public administration.

Note: As of April 2011, commercial development of OpenOffice.org project
has been terminated. LibreOffice, a fork of OpenOffice is now available
for download here.
</Q>

Last week I contacted FileHippo.com requesting changes to that page,
even offering to rewrite the page with the correct information, but have
not yet received any response. Unfortunately, the only means of
contacting them, that I can find, is via a web form:
http://www.filehippo.com/info/contact/ It may encourage the FileHippo
website maintainers to update the information about our software if
other project members were to also contact them requesting this change.

Dave