incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: [WWW] What to do with OOo related domains?
Date Sat, 26 May 2012 15:04:28 GMT

On 2012-05-26 9:23 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 10:38 PM, Fernando Cassia<fcassia@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 9:48 PM, Rob Weir<robweir@apache.org>  wrote:
>>
>>> Of course, the easy decision is simply to say "yes" to everything.
>>> But unless the ASF gets free registrations, this is a cost that will
>>> need to be handled on an ongoing basis.
>>>

>> Suppose we're speaking about 10 domains, I don't think $100 /year is going
>> to break the ASF's coffers, or does it?.
>>
>> http://www.maddogdomains.com/?isc=mddgdic04&gclid=CMH82K_gnLACFQKCnQodP1NCYA
>> .com $8.17/yr
>> .org  $7/yr
>>

> I count 28 domains on Andrew's list.
>
> The 28 by themselves is not a huge expense.  I just want us to
> consider whether this actually accomplishing anything.  For example,
> I'd hate to see us expand this strategy to other NL's or other
> permutations of domain names without really understanding how the
> "game" is played today.  With the expansion of TLD's, the game seems
> to be getting domains like openoffice.fm and then using Twitter and
> Google+ to spam advertisements, or to use Google or Bing sponsored
> search ads to drive traffic to the fake website.

Don't worry particularly about cost.  If there's a good reason, and an
agreement within the PPMC for the project to request it, we should be
able to take care of it.

Personally, I support continuing any existing domains, simply because
there may well be existing links or traffic to them already which we
don't want to fall into spammer's hands.

I don't see the need to go grab a whole bunch of new names though,
unless there's specific evidence that shows there's value in it.  There
are far more important things to work on than trying to out-guess
spammers who rely on mis-typings.

- Shane