incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Herbert Duerr <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: how to install Apache OpenOffice 3.4 in headless server
Date Fri, 25 May 2012 12:53:34 GMT
On 25.05.2012 10:52, Ji Yan wrote:
> [...]
>> I've downloaded the Linux x86-64 DEB
>> http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html
>>
>> But that will only install onto a server with a Desktop unless I'm missing
>> some information.
>>
>> Once downloaded I do the following:
>>
>> tar xvfz
>> Apache_OpenOffice_incubating_3.4.0_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz
>> which extracts everything to an ./en-US directory the en-US directory
>> contains several dozen .DEB files
>>
>> dpkg -i<all the .deb files>
>>
>> that will emit errors concerning gui/desktop requirements so it appeared to
>> me that those can only be installed on a server with a desktop and NOT on a
>> headless machine.

Some of the *deb files are for desktop integration and these have
desktop dependencies of course.

>> Maybe I missed some documentation but I know you can start openoffice in
>> headless mode once its installed BUT in this case how can you install it on
>> a headless machine in the first place?

That the package managers emits errors is a too general statement. Which
missing dependencies does it report? Leaving out the *deb files that
have missing dependencies would be an interesting experiment.

Herbert