incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] proposal a OOo 3.3 update service
Date Wed, 23 May 2012 09:16:48 GMT
Hi,

On 22.05.2012 18:21, Kay Schenk wrote:
> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 6:21 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann<
> orwittmann@googlemail.com>  wrote:
>
>> [snip]
>>

>>> I would prefer the "static" solution as a short-term one which could be
>>> working
>>> next week.
>>> For the "dynamic" solution a script is needed. I have no experience in
>>> programming such a script. Is there a volunteer who would take over this
>>> task?
>>>

> I don't have any ideas at all in what would be included in such a
> script...so no help from me. And, I wonder if something like that was ever
> in operation. With no knowledge, I can't say.

I assume that there were some server-side logic, but I am not sure.
This logic would had investigated the HTTP GET request header fields
"User-Agent" and "Accept-Language" to identify the OOo installation, e.g. German
OOo 3.1 running on MacOS X.
Then, I assume, it looked into its database for the newest OOo version for such
an OOo installation. If it founds a newer version, e.g. German OOo 3.3 for MacOS
X it assembles a corresponding XML document containing the data about this newer
version. This XML document was then delivered as the HTTP GET response.

>>> Any thoughts/comments/**improvements/changes/...?
>>>

>> It looks like we can go with the "static" solution as a short-term
>> solution.
>>

> Sounds good. this is reasonable and should work assuming infra can deal
> with handling the "pkgfmt" bits for Linux, for example.

If we want to provide a direct download link for OOo 3.3 installation on Linux,
this special handling will be needed.
If we only want to provide a web page link from which the user have to manually
download the needed package, this special handling won't be needed.

>> Thus, I will do the following:
>> - Creation of a complete XML document
>> - Include entries for at least one languages for which we have currently
>> no AOO 3.4 installation package.
>> - Providing the XML document and possible variants on [3] for testing and
>> verification.
>> - Call for volunteers to test the XML document at [3].
>> - Integrate feedback, if we want to have direct download links or links to
>> a certain existing web page for manual download.
>>

> I don't understand this one. Initiate update vs letting user choose and
> then do installation on their own?

The XML document will contain element <inst:update>. Its attribute "src" will
contain an URL. Its attribute "type" will determine, if the update function in
OOo 3.3 will interpret the URL as an direct download link or as a link to a web
page. Depending on the type the update function provides the user the function
to trigger the download or to open the URL in the default browser.

Rob and Roberto - as far as I have understand - were in favor of providing a
link to a web page. I am completely open here. Thus, I think I will provide
different variants of the XML document for testing.

Best regards, Oliver.