incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: [Comment] Apache software is always free
Date Tue, 22 May 2012 10:49:11 GMT

On 2012-05-22 1:41 AM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> On Mon, 21 May 2012 21:37:54 -0400 Shane
> Curcuru<asf@shanecurcuru.org>  wrote:
>
>> Since this question is coming up much much more now that we have
>> AOO, I figured we need an official URL and resource to point to
>> when people ask.
>>
>> http://www.apache.org/free
>>
>> Any glaring errors?  Anything I should add, or express more
>> clearly?
>>
>> The immediate driver for this as a memorable URL is the AOO
>> podling, since you clearly have the greatest need (with the huge
>> non-technical user base).  Is there anything in particular we
>> should consider adding to address AOO or OOo users specifically?
>>
>> - Shane
>>

> The Project list might benefit from a few explanatory words attached
> to each Project name, as these names can be rather esoteric; remember
> we are not preaching to the converted who know Apache software is
> free, but to a puzzled stranger.out t

True, but the purpose of this page is singular: answer the question
about "do I have to pay for Apache software".  So I'm trying to keep it
as short and sweet - yet still explain the concepts - as possible.

> As this request for review is posted on an OpenOffice list, I remark
> that the presence of OpenOffice is not readily apparent.  I have not
> statistics before me of uptake of all Apache projects, but I would
> expect that OpenOffice (although Incubating) is or shortly will be
> among the front runners and deserves a presence.

Apache OpenOffice is listed alongside the webserver (first/most widely
used ASF project), and Hadoop and Lucene (both very visible in the
developer space these days).

Note that if AOO wants to create your own version of this page that
specifically addresses these points for AOO, please feel free.  You
could then link to the /free page as reference, but explain the
OOo-specific issues in detail.

- Shane