incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: [Comment] Apache software is always free
Date Tue, 22 May 2012 10:46:05 GMT

On 2012-05-22 3:42 AM, Roberto Galoppini wrote:
> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 9:26 AM, Andrea Pescetti<pescetti@apache.org>  wrote:
>> Shane Curcuru wrote:
>>>
>>> http://www.apache.org/free
>>> Any glaring errors? Anything I should add, or express more clearly?
>>

>> I would add, when you state that the Apache License meets the Open Source
>> Initiative's (OSI) Open Source Definition, that it also meets the Free
>> Software Foundation's Free Software definition and thus it qualifies as
>> Free/Libre software. In the case of OpenOffice, which used to ship under a
>> GNU license, this would be helpful to users who want to be sure that the
>> license change gives them more freedom and not less freedom than before.

True, although this URL is meant for ASF-wide use, not just for AOO.  So
I'm trying to keep the information as simple (and conflict-inducing
phrases free) as possible.  But I think a mention that we meet both OSI
and FSF guidelines is worth adding.

>> Regards,
>>   Andrea.
>

> Great job Shane, I'd consider a couple of minor changes.
>
> Add in the first paragraph that it can be used for any purpose and you
> can make copies. I know that a careful reader could read it below, but
> many just read the very first paragraph.

Good point.

> I'd consider also to add in the "Is Apache software free to use? May I
> use it for any purpose?" section a couple of hints for who want to
> repackage it, so that we can point this people to thart page.

Again, this page is primarily meant to be a memorable URL to provide as
a reference for the "do I ever have to pay for Apache software" type
question.

What information for repackagers do you mean?  Wouldn't that kind of
information better go on the /legal or /licenses areas anyway?

- Shane