incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] proposal a OOo 3.3 update service
Date Mon, 21 May 2012 14:48:46 GMT
Hi,

On 18.05.2012 22:55, Kay Schenk wrote:
> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 1:09 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann<
> orwittmann@googlemail.com>  wrote:
>> [snip]
>>

>>>   This may be possible, because this information could also "coded" into
>>>>

>>> I don't get your meaning here. Sorry.  ????
>>>

>> The HTTP GET request contains information about the installed version
>> making the request. The needed package format is currently "coded" as the
>> URL query part. But, it could be also "coded" in the HTTP "User-Agent"
>> field.
>

> How would we do that?

The string for the HTTP "User-Agent" field in the HTTP GET request is assembled
in the AOO source code.
Thus, we can change it to everything we want ;-)

>>   OK, the next step, which we should deal with very cautiously given my past
>>> experiment, is to get infra to redirect update36.services.openoffice.**
>>> org<http://update36.services.openoffice.org>  to
>>> the web server IP address.
>>>

>>  From my point of view we only should redirect the update URL of OOo 3.3 -
>> namely update36..... If it works fine, we can think of redirecting further
>> update URLs from former versions.
>>

> Right--and that was my thought as well. This is why I started out havign
> infor redirect update30, which, at it turns out, was a HUGE mistake because
> it didn't work the same as the future versions -- it did POST calls instead
> of GET.

Thus, I propose to first go for OOo 3.3.
If it is stable we can add OOo 3.2.1 and OOo 3.2 and ... - one after another.

>> My personal opionion is that such redirects are not needed - but this is
>> only my view.
>

> well, who knows. We could do it, and potentially, it would do no harm.
>

>>   It would be better if we could just try this with a very limited set of
>>> updates for the time being...maybe just 32 bit Linux German, for example,
>>> and take out the others for a bit and see what happens.
>>>
>>> The other thing is since we're still in the midst of the traffic for the
>>> new release, it would be better to wait at least another week. I know
>>> you've been after this for a while, and I completely understand, but well,
>>> results were REALLY disastrous with the update30 re-route -- I kid you
>>> not.
>>> Within 2 hours it incapacitated the Apache web server with the bad "post"
>>> calls -- I mean ALL of it -- all sites, and the redirect had to be backed
>>> out. I know we use "get" now and not post, but who would know this?
>>>

>> Yes, we should wait for at least one week to establish the update service
>> for OOo 3.3. And then only for OOo 3.3
>

> I have a suggestion in the meantime, since I take it we would like some
> additional "in house" testing.
>
> You could post a new thread asking for testers who currently still have a
> 3.3. version (or maybe they have friends that do), tell them they'll need
> to do a local redirect -- via local /etc/hosts -- from
> update36.services.openoffice.org, to the web server IP, and then have them
> do the "Check Update" and see what happens.
>
> I actually tried to convince Windows friends to do this when I was working
> on this in early spring, but I just couldn't convince them they actually
> had an /etc/hosts and this would do no harm! :/
>
> Maybe you'll have better luck.

Yes, some further tests are needed.
I will make a call, when the current XML document covers more installed versions.

Best regards, Oliver.