incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] proposal for a AOO 3.4 update service
Date Mon, 21 May 2012 11:55:22 GMT
Hi,

> Am 15.05.12 16:11, schrieb Rob Weir:
>> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 8:11 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
>> <orwittmann@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> From my point of view it would make sense to reactivate a simple update
>>> service for AOO 3.4.
>>>
>>> The update URL for AOO 3.4 is:
>>> http://update38.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
>>> (plus a query part ?pkgfmt=<pkgformat> for non-Windows platforms)
>>>
>>> As this URL resolves to nothing, the user currently gets the following
>>> response from the update functionality in AOO 3.4:
>>>
>>> I propose provide the following XML document when a HTTP GET request to the
>>> above given URL is made:
>>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>>> <inst:description
>>> xmlns:inst="http://installation.openoffice.org/description">
>>> </inst:description>
>>>
>>> Kay already made such an XML document available at:
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
>>>
>>> This response would allow the update functionality in AOO 3.4 to return to
>>> the user that the version is up to date.
>>>
>>> Thus, to reactivate an working update service for AOO 3.4 a redirection is
>>> needed.
>>>

>> Are proposing that we just have a static XML file and redirect the
>> requests so it loads that static file?
>>

> Yes, as a short-term and fast solution.
>
>> I can see that as being a useful short-term solution. But soon we'll
>> need some more complicated logic, right? For example, when we enable
>> the 3.3. update check, we'll need to know that updates are available
>> for some languages, but not others. Can we do that all with
>> redirection to static files? Or do we need server-based logic, i.e.,
>> a cgi script?
>>

> Static files would be possible, because each version has its own update service
> URL, but it would be not the best solution for the long-term.
> Thus, some server-based logic would make sense.
>
>> If we're going to need a cgi script in the end, I wonder if it makes
>> sense to start with one now? We could have a simply script that today
>> just always points to the "no update available" XML for AOO 3.4. But
>> then we make it more complicated as we go.
>>

> I am currently in preparation of a proposal for an update service for OOo 3.3
> installations. Here, I can/will demonstrate how a server-based logic would look
> like.
>
>>> Can somebody make this happen?
>>> I have to admit that do not have the knowledge to do it on my own.
>>>

>> If we just redirect to a static file, I think you can just enter a
>> JIRA request for Infra. If we go with a cgi script then we need
>> someone to develop that script first.
>>

> If nobody objects, I would go for this short-term and static approach and would
> ask via JIRA request for Infra, if the redirect to the already existing static
> file can be established.

Ok, let us drive this issue a little bit more.

For the static and short-term update service for AOO 3.4 I will do the following:
- Creation of HTTP resource [1] provided the above given simple XML document
- Asking ASF Infrastructure via corresponding JIRA issue to redirect HTTP GET
requests for URL [2] (Update URL of AOO 3.4) to URL [2]

[1] http://www.openoffice.org/projects/update38/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
[2] http://update38.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update

Best regards, Oliver.