incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <and...@pitonyak.org>
Subject Re: Linux install issues
Date Sun, 20 May 2012 01:03:34 GMT
On 05/19/2012 01:00 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
> Hi all--
>
> It seems we are running into a number of very difficult problems with Linux
> installs, the latest just e-mailed to this list this morning, due to the
> way some vendors have installed LO.
>
> see:
>
> http://markmail.org/message/qz72ouzjvcm7uyfn
>

> I'd really like to provide additional help in the install guide:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/common/instructions.html
>
> but I'm at a loss as to what this should say.
>
> I took a look at SOME of the postings on the support forums and well, still
> at a loss. Generally, it seems that completely uninstall the old OOo 3.3 is
> a given (please correct me if I'm wrong about this), but how to handle some
> of the LO overlap?
>
> Can we get some opinions on what's the most accurate way to go about
> installing AOO 3.4 on linux?
>
> * completely de-install LO first? install AOO 3.4, the re-install LO?
> * completely de-install old OOo 3.3? and then?
>
> Thankfully, I did not run into these kinds of issues with my distro.

I use Fedora and I have never used the version included by the distro.
For OOo and then later for Libre-O, I manually uninstalled the packages.
Something like this:

rpm -qa | grep -i obasis > foo.txt
rpm -qa | grep -i openoffice >> foo.txt
rpm -e `cat foo.txt`

For libre, the second grep term was a wee bit different, I don't
remember now since I only have done that once. Now, after uninstalling
the product, I had to modify /etc/yum.conf to contain the lines

exclude=openoffice*
exclude=libreoffice*

This prevented yum from updating these packages later. Something similar
needs to be done with Ubuntu type builds I believe.

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php