incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Providing smaller compressed source tarballs
Date Sat, 19 May 2012 08:34:44 GMT
On 10/05/2012 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
> Currently, the 3.4.0 source tar.bz2 is around 240 MiB. Providing an xz
> compressed tarball instead would reduce download size for users who
> build AOO from source.

I remember making a similar assessment years ago for a variant of the
OOo 2.x sources. The license required that we distributed the source
code in CD-ROMs (or made it available in other ways, but this was the
more straightforward way to comply) and in the end we settled for 7-ZIP.

Indeed, download size for the sources is not a big problem (size of
binaries is the issue) but thanks for the analysis: it will be useful if
someone wishes to redistribute OpenOffice on CD-ROM and include source
code, which as far as I know is optional with the current license.

Regards,
   Andrea.