incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Regina Henschel <rb.hensc...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: Dealing with a large and diverse project - Native Languages and project teams
Date Fri, 18 May 2012 18:42:19 GMT
Hi,

Rob Weir schrieb:
> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Paulo de Souza Lima
> <paulo.s.lima@varekai.org>  wrote:
>> 2012/5/18 Rob Weir<robweir@apache.org>
>>
>> <snip>
>>

>>> Not really.  I'm not presuming to say what others should or should not
>>> want to do.  And I'm not going to speculate on what "the project"
>>> wants to do, whatever the heck that means.
>>>
>>> Let's not speculate or deal in hypothetical about how some
>>> hypothetical volunteer from Bolivia may or may not want to do for some
>>> hypothetical grant.  We don't need an elaborate apparatus to deal with
>>> such questions that have not actually occurred here.
>>>
>>> Instead, let's ask of the here and now:  Is there anything any
>>> volunteer on the project wants to do, that they believe that they
>>> cannot do?  I'd encourage them to speak up, regardless of country or
>>> language.  Let's make a list.
>>>

>> Well, as long as you've opened a channel, I have something to say about it.

[..]
>> 2 - There's a lot of people here in Brazil willing to help AOO, but they
>> can't because they can't read/write/speak English. I can count at least
>> three right now, in our (provisory) mailing list at Escritório Livre.
>
> What do the volunteers want to do?
>
> If a volunteer wants to contribute code, they need to understand C++.
> If they want to contribute to the website design then they need to
> understand HTML/CSS.  And so on.  There are basic per-requisite skills
> needed.  And across all of these there is the need to be able to
> read/write English.   I don't see how this can be avoided.

It is possible to work on Media-Wiki without English skills. You only
need a small sheet with basic formatting commands. The UI of the Wiki
uses native language. I don't know how many languages are supported, but
I see a lot in the drop down list.

Look at the categories FR, ES, JA, or RU to see what is possible. (BTW,
you will not see a lot of German content, because we had already
ooowiki.de before the openoffice-wiki started, and that has >1000
pages.) You can put a lot of end-user help into the wiki and go far
beyond the build-in help.

Kind regards
Regina