incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] proposal a OOo 3.3 update service
Date Wed, 16 May 2012 20:44:13 GMT
Hi,

On 16.05.2012 21:58, Kay Schenk wrote:

>>  [snip]
>>
>>> One of the problems we will run into, esp for Linux (I don't know about
>>> other platforms) is that the user has a appended "pkgfmt" already on the
>>> update URL, so in my experimenting, the update call failed because an
>>> acceptable package was not found.
>>
>> From my point of view this should not be a problem as it seems that the
>> HTTP server neglects the URL query part in such a "static" case.
>> I am not an expert here, please correct me if I am wrong.
>
> well, I'll try it again...I have several versions to play with...I seem to
> recall I had to manually delete the pkgfmt business and then I got it to work.

I have recently tested on Ubuntu with an old developer snapshot of AOO 3.4.
It just worked fine, even with an update URL having the query part.

When I browse to
http://update36.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update?pkgformat=deb
using the FireFox it provides me the content of the XML document.
BTW, I have already updated the XML document as you suggested. As I forgot to
include an entry for Linux 32bit in my first try you may be hit my first XML
document.

> I'll get back to you on this later today.

Ok, thanks.

> I think I will make a discussion thread to totally ditch the pkgfmt business
> from Linux update URLs. It would considerably simplify our lives.

Do you mean for future versions of AOO?
This may be possible, because this information could also "coded" into the
"User-Agent" field of the HTTP GET request.

Best regards, Oliver.