incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject [UPDATE SERVICE] proposal a OOo 3.3 update service
Date Wed, 16 May 2012 11:24:23 GMT
Hi,

as our release AOO 3.4 is out now for more than a week I think it would make
sense to reactivate a simple update service for installed OOo 3.3 versions.
I have already seen a post on the users mailing list that the update
functionality is not working in OOo 3.3. I assume that corresponding posts also
exist in the forum.
 From my point of view it is time to let our OOo 3.3 users know via the update
functionality that we have released AOO 3.4.

The update URL for OOo 3.3 is:
http://update36.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update (plus
a query part ?pkgfmt=<pkgformat> for non-Windows platforms)

As this URL resolves to nothing, the user currently gets the following response
from the update functionality in OOo 3.3:
Server error message: Could not read status line: An existing connection was
forcibly closed by the remote host.

There are two solutions:

(A) "static" solution:
Provide an XML document similar to the one which is attached when an HTTP GET
request to the above given URL is made.
The attached XML document contains an atom feed according to [1]
Currently, it only contains entries for:
- German, Windows
- German, MacOS X
- German, Linux, 32bit
- German, Linux, 64bit
- English-US, Windows
I hope I got the inst:os and inst:arch content right for all the platforms.
For Windows and MacOS we could directly provide download links. Thus, the update
functionality can download it and install it on corresponding user demand.
For Linux we can not distinguish the different needed package formats in this
"static" solution - as far as I know. Thus, a landing page can be given here.
The update functionality can open it in the user's default browser on
corresponding user demand. In the attached XML document I included our AOO 3.4
release announcement page as this landing page - this is only a proposal.
The final XML document needs to be extended by entries for all possible
combinations. This would mean 4 entries (Windows, MacOS X, Linux 32bit, Linux
64bit) for each language which we had released for AOO 3.4.
It would be also be possible to include more combinations for which we have no
package. We could create a special landing page for these which state that AOO
3.4 is out and that the user might want to have a look, if one of the provided
packages would fit her/his needs.

For this solution we need to provide the XML document at the above given URL.

(B) "dynamic" solution:
As the HTTP GET request contains all the information needed to identify the
installed version performing the HTTP GET request - see [2], with some
server-side logic an XML document could be dynamically created which servers the
identified version.
E.g.:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<inst:description xmlns:inst="http://installation.openoffice.org/description">
     <inst:version>- Apache OpenOffice 3.4</inst:version>
     <inst:buildid>9590</inst:buildid>
     <inst:os>Linux</inst:os>
     <inst:arch>x86</inst:arch>
     <inst:update type="application/octet-stream"
src="http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/stable/3.4.0/Apache_OpenOffice_incubating_3.4.0_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz/download"

/>
</inst:description>
which would serve a OOo 3.3, en-US, Linux 32bit, packgage format deb
If there is no AOO 3.4 for the identified OOo 3.3 the script should create the
following XML document:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<inst:description xmlns:inst="http://installation.openoffice.org/description">
</inst:description>

For this solution we need some server-side based script reacting on the above
given URL, which can evaluate the provided information and can create XML
documents as given above.

[1] http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Update_Notification_Protocol
[2]
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Update_Notification_Protocol#summary_information_about_request_to_.3CUpdateURL.3E

I would prefer the "static" solution as a short-term one which could be working
next week.
For the "dynamic" solution a script is needed. I have no experience in
programming such a script. Is there a volunteer who would take over this task?

Any thoughts/comments/improvements/changes/...?

Best regards, Oliver.