incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <and...@pitonyak.org>
Subject Re: HELP NEEDED
Date Tue, 15 May 2012 04:24:58 GMT
On 05/14/2012 09:34 AM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> On Mon, 14 May 2012 11:35:37 +0200 (CEST)
> "koda.m@libero.it"<koda.m@libero.it>  wrote:
>
>> Hello, I'm sorry if I'm writing to the wrong email adres but i can't find the support
email adress. i need help! i saved last night an odt file 28 apges long terribly important
to me and now when i tried to open it it asks about the ASCII FILTER wich i have no idea what
it is. how can a solve this problem? seraching in the net i found no solution... please help
me or at least tell me what email adress i should write to.thank youmarco datola
> As OpenOffice is distributed at no cost, there is no formal support service, other than
the goodwil of Users who give of their time in supporting it, eith on a mailing list such
as this, or on the User Forum
> http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum
>
> Tha ASCII filter message means that OpenOffice canot understand your file.  This is _bad_
news.  In OpenOffice, go to /Tools /Options/ Openoffice.org : Paths and write down the path
listed there for temporary files. Now exit OpenOffice.  Go to the location listed and see
if there are any files there with arbitrary names (example:xryt.bak or sqfge.tmp) and approximately
the correct date.  Copy these to another directory and rename them to type .odt, then see
if they will open with OpenOffice.  If not, forget about them. Copy your damaged file to another
file called Filename.zip.  See if that will open with WinZip or 7zip.  If it does, copy out
content.xml; this will contain your data, but you will have to edit it heavily to get it reformated
to your desire.  If you are not computer savvy, get someone who is to help you.

> Why did this happen?  Were you working to a USB stick?  If so, you may not have observed
the correct procedure to remove a USB device.  If you were working to the hard disk, you may
have closed down the computer too quickly, before the disk buffers flushed, and the file may
be only partially written.

Sometimes this happens because the file was saved with a specific file
extension; for example, saving an ODT file as bob.doc rather than
bob.odt. Sometimes the file is simply damaged.

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php