incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [4.0 brainstorming] Making Page Breaks more visible
Date Mon, 14 May 2012 08:50:59 GMT
Hi

On 12.05.2012 16:40, RGB ES wrote:
> I would like to ask you for feedback on this idea, to know if you
> think it is good or bad and why, and finally if you think it is
> feasible.
>
> Writer shows page breaks (PB) with a line on top of next page's text
> area. LyX shows PB with a line crossing the page on the insertion
> point with the text "Page break" on the middle of it. These different
> approaches can be more or less useful, but both are conceptually
> wrong:
>
>               PB are not about breaking pages, but about breaking *text
> flow* and sending content to the next page.
>
> So PB should be an attribute of the object (a paragraph, a table) that
> actually breaks content flow. Writer already work that way: on the
> paragraph format (both direct and style) or table properties we have a
> "text flow" tab that allows us to define breaks, either before or
> after the object, either with or without page style change.
>
> Considering all this, I believe PB should be shown on the same object
> that creates the break, and on the object side where break occurs:
> this way, PB display will be consistent with the way PB works on
> Writer.
>
> See here for a lousy mock-up:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~rgb-es/PageBreaks3.png
>
> What do you think?

I like the idea of changing the representation of page breaks in the view and to
add corresponding functionality to easy access the corresponding format dialogs.

As I am not an user experience expert I only have my developer view on such things.
May be certain UX people should work on this issue presenting their results to
the users - may be in the forum.

Best regards, Oliver.