incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Feedback on the CMS
Date Sun, 13 May 2012 21:37:03 GMT

On 05/13/2012 09:42 AM, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On May 13, 2012, at 8:50 AM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>

>> On 05/12/2012 08:49 PM, Joe Schaefer wrote:
>>> While I don't quite grok what you are having issue with regarding
>>> mdtext pages,  I can give you an example of how to link to some
>>> named element within the current page:
>>>
>>> [Link text](#name)
>>>
>>> where "name" is the id or name of the element you want to link
>>> to.
>>>
>>> More generally I've explained a few more of the UI design
>>> elements just now at
>>>
>>> http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref#organization
>>
>> Well I wasn't as clear as I could have been either. :/
>>
>> When I use the CMS bookmarklet to edit one of the mdtext pages, I
>> am presented with a very limited set of "functions" I can use vis a
>> vis the toolbar presented to me. And the WMD link presented,
>> http://www.wmd-editor.com/,
>>
>> doesn't seem to work -- I was going to use this to get to more
>> information.
>>
>> So thanks for the info you provided above. Because I couldn't get
>> anywhere with the WMD link, I wasn't sure what to do. Maybe I put
>> more thought into this then was needed, though...I guess i could
>> have just entered markdown directly.
>>

>>> The CMS build scripts really don't need much explaining as they
>>> don't actually contain very much rendering logic themselves, all
>>> that information is in the per-project site's trunk/lib/path.pm
>>> and trunk/lib/view.pm.
>>
>> OK, well then, something that was suggested to me vis a vis using
>> the build scripts to generate some dynamic elements in a page,
>> might not work. This is a "down the road" project and something
>> that would be nice for us but not absolutely needed now. I will get
>> back on some options regarding this type of thing later. Higher
>> priority items right now...
>
> I've been modifying the path.pm and view.pm all along. What dynamic
> elements do you have in mind? It is totally possible to have certain
> pages auto-update every hour (like www.apache.org) and contain
> elements like twitter feeds.
>
> Also, there is another thread where the site design is being
> discussed.

well it...it concerned culling the native language lists that had been
setup and automatically inserting this info into:

http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/native-lang.html

We can start a new thread...and I'm starting a page on "web site
enhancements" in the planning wiki to include items like this for
further discussion. Might be easier/cleaner to do a wiki "whiteboard"
approach rather than e-mail.

more later...

> Regards, Dave
>

>>> HTH

MzK

>> --

MzK

>> "Well, life has a funny way of sneaking up on you And life has a
>> funny way of helping you out Helping you out." -- "Ironic", Alanis
>> Morissette

MzK

  Helping you out."
                             -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette