incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Heads up][code] Apache Lucene updated to version 2.9.4
Date Sun, 13 May 2012 18:39:22 GMT
On 05/13/12 09:10, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> Hi Pedro,
>
> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 08:24:00PM -0500, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
>> To respond your points, which are perfectly reasonable, in the
>> case of these last two big changes:
>>
>> 1) The code builds on FreeBSD-amd64, which is my dev. platform.
>> 2) The code has been in use for a while on FreeBSD and/or Debian
>> Linux for a while. I was very careful to choose only compatible
>> updates.
>> 3) I did my best to check the specific functionality that may be
>> affected: it is unlikely I can catch all the use-cases but doing
>> such changes early in development will help detect any
>> remaining issue.
> We have QA experts here ;) The idea behind my mail was: identify where
> the libraries you are updating is used, then ask the QA people if they
> can perform some tests (or ask here in the list for testing volunteers).
> For people to test functionality, you must tell them first where/what to
> test.

Ahh.. OK.. so we are in the same "channel", because that was the
reason for the [heads up] tag :). I do want the Lucene change tested
on Windows: specifically for looking up long paths in the help system.

The old port had an awful hack that requires an effort to update: in
general adding system independent hacks in Java code is not good
so I want to know if that extra effort is needed at all.

> For example, with apache commons, I have no idea where this can be used,
> opengrok suggests in the Report Builder (we don't build it anymore) and
> the Wiki Publisher (this extension is not installed by default with the
> office, and AFAIK we didn't upload a new version on the extensions
> repository).

Those are used for logging and http access in extensions, however,
I am not worried about Apache Commons. I only updated lang
and codec which are used by http-client: the updated versions have
been in use in FreeBSD's ports for a long time and I verified the
changelogs of both updated to make sure there were no surprises
like deprecated APIs.

> In conclusion, for the third step, we should identify where the code is
> used, ask for QA volunteers telling them what to test.

Hm ... I guess I will have to join the QA list in addition to the heads-up.

Pedro.