incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL][www] Redirected br.openoffice.org
Date Fri, 11 May 2012 21:15:48 GMT
Am 05/10/2012 02:56 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 8:49 AM, Claudio Filho<filhocf@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi

>> One explanation first. In brazilian Internet, we use the final ".br"
>> in domain names, following the Domains Internet rules, to indicate the
>> country.
>>
>> So, for us, is natural think "br.anysite.org" instead of "pt-br.anysite.org" .

>> Albino, IMO, we can use pt-br.oo.o as a "translated clone" of EN site,
>> respecting some localized issues, like lists.
>>
>>> Create pt-br.openoffice.org (secondary) ? Because it's similar
>>> openoffice.org/pt-br
>>
>> No. pt-br.oo.o == oo.o/pt-br
>>
>>> The redirected br.openoffice.org to openoffice.org/pt-br, Ok!
>>
>> Well, this is a good question (looking by marketing side), but i don't
>> know from localization side, where "br" == breton language in language
>> ISO code.
>>

> Good example!  Another:  For TLD, uk = United Kingdom (Great Britain),
> but ISO language code uk = Ukranian.
>
> I think we ask for trouble if we mix country code and language codes
> in the same system.

Rob is right. IMHO we shouldn't care about the country as we don't do
any localization work for specific countries. It's all about languages only.

Please have a look for the install files. The ISO code at the end (in
front of the file extension) is for languages. So, the "de" packages can
be used by every German-speaking people all over the world. It's not for
people in Germany only.

So, IMHO we should create any new domains/subdomains/redirects in
context with language ISO codes (see here for a complete (?) list of all
code OOo has and AOO can support:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Languages

PS:
Yes, br = Breton and uk = Ukrainian.