incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [RELEASE][AOO3.4.1] proposed time schedule and included content
Date Fri, 11 May 2012 12:57:05 GMT
On 5/11/12 2:46 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 3:26 AM, Jürgen Schmidt
> <jogischmidt@googlemail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> first of all I am volunteering to act as release manager for 3.4.1 as well
>> if our community think it's a good idea.
>>

> Thanks for volunteering.
>
>> Independent of the release manager I would like to propose the following
>> time schedule and content for a 3.4.1.
>>
>> Content
>> =======
>> - we will support further languages where we have volunteers working on
>> translation and where we have ideally 100% UI coverage. I think we should
>> focus and balance the support of new languages on demand and completeness.
>> Right now we have Finnish and British English with an updated 100% UI
>> translation. We can also think about language packs only.
>>

> We heard from volunteers on the list for Norwegian and Hebrew
> recently.  There should be enough time for time to complete their
> translations, if they wish to be included.

sure when we have updates we can include them. Everything on demand and
based on requests/communicaiton.

>> - we will include important and critical bug fixes or necessary changes.
>> Bugs/tasks have to be proposed and discussed on the ooo-dev mailing list and
>> the issue should be marked with the "3.4.1_release_blocker" flag, concrete
>> the "?" value.
>>
>> - we will include potential security fixes
>>

> So we consider the branch to be frozen and only included new
> translations and fixes to "release blocker bugs" and necessary
> security patches (which are like release blocker bugs, but are not
> discussed on the public list or in Bugzilla).
>
> I assume the thing we found during the 3.4 RC vote can be included as
> well, such as the DISCLAIMER files?  (Or maybe we will graduate before
> July 31st?   Something to think about...)

yes, I think so. We should create Issues for these things as well,
discuss on ooo-dev and put it on the wiki
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4.1+Feature+Planning

>> Feature development and less important bugfixes should happen on the trunk
>> and will be included in the next major/minor release (3.5, 3.6, 4.0, ...).
>> The micro release should include minimal functional changes only.
>>

> Should we agree on a merge strategy?  Check into branch and merge into
> trunk, for example?

I do it exactly this way but when somebody prefers to create a patch,
apply it on trunk  and test it there it would be also fine. Keeping in
mind that we have build bots for trunk that can detect potential build
problems early.

Juergen